Coastal GasLink reduces workforce

Coastal GasLink says it has reduced its workforce in northern B.C. by two thirds over the last month, and that its rampdown will continue next week.

There were 1,200 working on the pipeline project in February, which had been reduced to 400 by the end of last week, the company said Thursday. The ramp-down will continue next week ahead of the spring thaw and as winter construction is completed, the company said.

article continues below

"To ensure our construction footprint is safe and secure during the spring thaw, we will continue to employ residents and local contractors to perform critical activities, including environmental monitoring, pipe delivery and stockpile," the company said in a statement.

"Local contractors will undertake some off right-of-way site preparation and maintenance as the spring thaw does not impact it."

In northeast B.C., just over 60% of the 670-kilometre Coastal GasLink route had been cleared by the end of February.

With spring breakup around the corner, the company expects a significantly lower workforce to be onsite before resuming clearing and beginning pipe installation this summer.

Smaller crews will be at work along the route and ensuring that workers and nearby communities are safe through its COVID-19 protection measures, said Coastal GasLink.

This includes having workers who are considered non-essential to working along the route at this time work from home instead. It also is continuing to work with provincial and local authorities on COVID-19 management.

As construction activities change and the size of its teams fluctuate, Coastal GasLink will continue to primarily employ B.C. workers, with 25% of them from Indigenous communities.

With the rapid developments around the COVID-19 situation, the company said it would continue to monitor the situation and take appropriate actions to maintain a safe work environment, minimize the risks of virus spread and ensure the safe operation of the pipeline and safe construction of the expansion project.

For its part, Trans Mountain said it has not experienced any delays to construction or impacts to pipeline operations at this time as it continues to operate the pipeline, a critical piece of national infrastructure.

Some of the actions that taken to date include implementing control measures at control centres, suspending all non-essential travel, safely operating facilities and construction sites, and transitioning to a work-from-home environment, where practicable.

— with files from the Daily Oil Bulletin

@ Copyright Pipeline News North

Comments

NOTE: To post a comment you must have an account with at least one of the following services: Disqus, Facebook, Twitter, Google+ You may then login using your account credentials for that service. If you do not already have an account you may register a new profile with Disqus by first clicking the "Post as" button and then the link: "Don't have one? Register a new profile".

The Pipeline News North welcomes your opinions and comments. We do not allow personal attacks, offensive language or unsubstantiated allegations. We reserve the right to edit comments for length, style, legality and taste and reproduce them in print, electronic or otherwise. For further information, please contact the editor or publisher, or see our Terms and Conditions.

comments powered by Disqus

Pipeline News Most Popular