Saturday July 26, 2014



Saudi Arabia says organized foreign group behind cyber-attacks on Aramco earlier this year

RIYADH, Saudi Arabia - A Saudi official says the cyber-attacks that hit the country's oil giant Aramco and Qatari natural gas producer RasGas in August originated outside the kingdom.

Interior Ministry spokesman Maj. Gen. Mansour al-Turki said in a statement Sunday that an investigation concluded that an "organized foreign group ... was behind the attacks" and that Aramco employees were not involved. He did not name the group, or say where it was based.

The cyber-attacks used a virus, known as Shamoon, which can spread through networked computers and ultimately wipes out files by overwriting them.

Aramco has said production wasn't affected.

Two previously unknown groups claimed responsibility for the Aramco attack to avenge what it called Saudi support for "crimes and atrocities" in Syria, Bahrain and other Arab countries.


Comments


NOTE: To post a comment in the new commenting system you must have an account with at least one of the following services: Disqus, Facebook, Twitter, Yahoo, OpenID. You may then login using your account credentials for that service. If you do not already have an account you may register a new profile with Disqus by first clicking the "Post as" button and then the link: "Don't have one? Register a new profile".

The Pipeline News North welcomes your opinions and comments. We do not allow personal attacks, offensive language or unsubstantiated allegations. We reserve the right to edit comments for length, style, legality and taste and reproduce them in print, electronic or otherwise. For further information, please contact the editor or publisher, or see our Terms and Conditions.

blog comments powered by Disqus


About Us | Advertise | Contact Us | Sitemap / RSS   Glacier Community Media: www.glaciermedia.ca    © Copyright 2014 Glacier Community Media | User Agreement & Privacy Policy

LOG IN



Lost your password?